Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Learning Ukrainian

One of the unexpected bonuses of adopting is free language lessons. I tried to learn some Ukrainian with a computer program before we traveled, but nothing seemed to stick... Six months later, with 8 weeks in country, and 3 months with our new kiddos, I know alot more. How useful these words are is another story.
And are these words really Ukrainian? Our children actually speak more Russian than Ukrainian. We think. So who knows what they are really teaching us! They often don't agree as to which word is Russian and which is Ukrainian, although they know them both. Sometimes we end up on Google Translate to get things straight.
[Philip had a huge head start. He grew up hearing Polish. Never spoke a word of it (except of course, a few of his favorite dishes) but could follow a sermon pretty well. While we were in Ukraine, he started communicating in a language that I didn't understand. When I asked him what he was using, he said he guessed it was Polish! Turns out Polish and Ukrainian have many, many words in common. Seventy percent according to Wikipedia.]

I know my colors. (Or at least the ones needed to play Uno. And black and white. And pink of course. We adopted a girl.)
I can count to ten.
I know quite a few food words: meat, potatoes, parsley, onions, carrots, ice cream, milk, butter, rice, fish, sausage, cheese, kasha (I don't know what the word is in English for that one!)

And then there are all the words that don't fit in a category:
Hands
Water
I don't know
I don't understand
Later
Maybe (very important answer to many questions)
Today
Tomorrow
Day after tomorrow
Friday and Saturday (for some reason the other days of the week will not remain in my brain)
Underpants
Car and Motorcycle (these two words need a whole blog post devoted to them!)
Bus
Bicycle
Zoo (that one is easy, I admit)
Come on
Hello
Good bye
Glory to God
Bible
Church
Helper
Diaper (I probably don't know the real word for this, since the word I know is Pampers with an accent)
Washing machine (this is a hard one to pronounce but I have it down!!!)
Peepee
Poopoo (I thought these words were international, but they aren't! And when I ask the kids if they need to go "potty", they have a good laugh at that word so I try to use the Ukrainian)

And then there are the words I learned, that I don't want to know the meaning of... They probably mean something like "stupid" or worse.


6 comments:

Nicole said...

How funny! I thought you were going to say how the kids were learning french! And there you are learning another language

HJK said...

The children are learning English MUCH faster than we are learning Russian. Their French is coming along a little bit more slowly, but their curiosity will ensure that they succeed at both!

Nicole said...

Vous ne leur facilitez pas la tache !!!! :)
apprendre 2 langues en même temps !!!!!
Mais quelle richesse si ils peuvent parler 3 langues !

Nicole said...

bientôt 1 an... Vous survivez ? ;)

HJK said...

Yes, we are surviving and thriving!!! I am trying to add a few blog posts in my spare time.

Ukrainian girl said...

It's really nice to see children teaching their adoptive parents the Ukrainian language. You could also check http://www.funkyukrainian.com for a lot of frequently used words and phrases.